Re: st: local macro trouble

From   "Eva Poen" <>
Subject   Re: st: local macro trouble
Date   Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:43:51 +0100

a local macro is local to its environment (do-file or program). Thus,
if you define it in a do-file, it will cease to exist (i.e. be empty)
after the do-file has finished. Just as local macros, when defined
interactively, don't survive the end of a Stata session.

Btw, if you want to save the sum of a variable in a macro, you don't
need to create a new variable for it.

qui sum twodayfallindex, meanonly
local dispdate = r(sum)

Of course you'd still have to rethink what to do in terms of when you
define your macros.