st: RE: obs no of max value

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: obs no of max value
Date   Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:21:35 +0200

As long as you do not want to use -by- you can

sysuse auto, clear
su trunk, mean
g byte maxtag=1 if trunk==r(max)

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Ashim Kapoor
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:16 AM
Subject: st: obs no of max value

Hello everyone,

Suppose I have a variable  " Age". I wish to find out at which
observation does age have a max at. One way to do this is to write a
while loop. I think that's horrid.

I guess I could do  : -

egen mAge=max(Age)

gen index=_n if Age==mAge

But this puts the right value of _n only in ONE observation. I can
play around with 0's and use egen total to get this in ALL
observations  , but I was wondering if anyone knew a DIRECT way of
doing this in one go.

Thank you,