st: A comment on abbreviations

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   st: A comment on abbreviations
Date   Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:52:51 +0200

Abbreviations make it easier to write a text, but more difficult to read it. Especially if your experience with the language is limited, abbreviations make life difficult. I have the impression that the use of abbreviations at Statalist have increased during the last months, and recently a response included this:
   prob f p w
It means
   probit foreign price weight
- and that is much easier to read.
The Statalist FAQ includes good advice, mostly to less experienced users seeking help. I think it should also include this advice to the more experienced users offering help:
   Be helpful. Avoid abbreviations.
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark