Re: st: displaying only one legend with -graph combine-

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   Re: st: displaying only one legend with -graph combine-
Date   Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:08:13 -0700

For the readers' interest, a much simpler way was suggested by Statacorp's Vince Higgins:

sysuse auto
sc mpg weight if foreign, name(a) title("Foreign")
sc mpg weight if !foreign, name(b) title("Domestic")
grc1leg a b, title("By Car Type")

A work around was discussed in this talk:

-- Maarten

--- Michael McCulloch <> wrote:

 Thanks Nick & Maarten,
 The limitation with -grc1leg- is that it can only choose as its own
 meta-title one of the titles from the subgraphs which are being

 -graph combine-, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be able to use
 only one meta-legend.

 The reason I'm seeking a solution is that I'm combining 4 graphs, one

 for each cancer stage I-IV, and I want to have the sub-title "Stage
 I", "Stage II", and so on, for each sub-graph. However, the legend is

 the same for each sub-graph, so I only want to display it once.

 >-findit grc1leg- will turn up Vince Wiggins' cryptically-named
 >-grc1leg- program (GRaph Combine 1 LEGend), which does exactly what
 >you want.
 >--Nick Winter
 >Michael McCulloch wrote:
 >>With the following combined graph, built based on suggestions by
 >>Maarten Buis, is it possible to display the legend only once,
 >>instead of twice where it appears under both sub-graphs?
 >>sysuse cancer.dta, clear
 >>stset studytime, failure(died)
 >>sts graph if age < 55, by(drug) title("Young", box bfcolor(white))
 >>saving("young", replace )
 >>sts graph if age >= 55, by(drug) title("Old", box bfcolor(white))
 >>saving("old", replace )
 >>graph combine young.gph old.gph, rows(2) cols(2) iscale(0.5)
 >>title(Survival by Age Group)
 >Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
 >Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
 >Department of Politics         e
 >University of Virginia w
 >PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
 >Charlottesville, VA 22904