Re: st: displaying only one legend with -graph combine-

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   Re: st: displaying only one legend with -graph combine-
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:20:18 -0700

Thanks Nick & Maarten,
The limitation with -grc1leg- is that it can only choose as its own meta-title one of the titles from the subgraphs which are being combined.

-graph combine-, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be able to use only one meta-legend.

The reason I'm seeking a solution is that I'm combining 4 graphs, one for each cancer stage I-IV, and I want to have the sub-title "Stage I", "Stage II", and so on, for each sub-graph. However, the legend is the same for each sub-graph, so I only want to display it once.

-findit grc1leg- will turn up Vince Wiggins' cryptically-named -grc1leg- program (GRaph Combine 1 LEGend), which does exactly what you want.

--Nick Winter

Michael McCulloch wrote:

With the following combined graph, built based on suggestions by Maarten Buis, is it possible to display the legend only once, instead of twice where it appears under both sub-graphs?

sysuse cancer.dta, clear
stset studytime, failure(died)
sts graph if age < 55, by(drug) title("Young", box bfcolor(white)) saving("young", replace )
sts graph if age >= 55, by(drug) title("Old", box bfcolor(white)) saving("old", replace )
graph combine young.gph old.gph, rows(2) cols(2) iscale(0.5) title(Survival by Age Group)

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics         e
University of Virginia w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904