Re: st: treatment of missing values in a matrix dissimilarity score

From   "Eva Poen" <>
Subject   Re: st: treatment of missing values in a matrix dissimilarity score
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:49:49 +0100

Stata seems to do listwise deletion, which appears fair in this
situation; it is not clear to me how comparable similarity measures
would be between observations when they are calculated based on
different sets of variables.

You want to calculate similarities only across non-missing elements. I
don't think there is an easy way to do this. One approach is to enlist
the help of -mvpatterns- which you can locate using -findit-.
-mvpatterns x1 x2 x3 x4- will tell you which patterns of missing
values exist in your data. You can then run the -matrix dissimilarity-
command separately for each pattern:

matrix dissimilarity m1=x1 x3 if x2 >=. & x4 >=., match proportion

for example, for all those observations that have x1 and x3
non-missing but x2 and x4 missing.