Re: st: Manuals online

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Manuals online
Date   Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:59:54 -0500

At 04:31 AM 9/14/2008, Eva Poen wrote:
There is one exception, however: the reference manual for Stata 1.0,
released in 1985, can be found online at

Also, there are some free samples online. Go to

and then click on the docs you are interested in, e.g.

On the latter page, you can get the manual's chapters on

* clogit Conditional (fixed-effects) logistic regression
* exlogistic Exact logistic regression
* mfx Obtain marginal effects or elasticities after estimation
* regress Linear regression
* regress postestimation Postestimation tools for regress

A lot of the other links from the first page I gave will lead you to links for a manual's intro chapters, which may help you to decide whether you want to buy the whole thing.

I think the biggest advantages of the manuals over the online help are (a) they usually teach you a little bit about the statistics and rationales involved, as opposed to just showing syntax, and (b) the manuals have detailed examples and explain the output a bit. You can't become an expert on a method just by reading a Stata chapter, but at least you can get a general idea and then decide whether you want to learn more from there.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: