From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: ZANDREWS
Date   Sun, 14 Sep 2008 08:55:03 +0100 (BST)

--- Richard Harvey <> wrote:
> I would like to see if and when there are any structural breaks in
> the data. I came across Kit's zandrews prog. -ssc d zandrews-  is
> this the command to use?

I don't know -zandrews-, but for this kind of stuff I am a great
believer in the interoccular trauma test (the structural break, if it
exists, should hit you between the eyes when you plot your data).
-twoway line MNval Months- doesn't show anything that looks to me like
a structural break. That to me would be enough to stop looking for it.
(If I did find something, then I would like to test, as we humans are
very good at finding patterns where none exist, and tests are designed
to distinguish between random noise that looks like a pattern and a
real pattern.)

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam