From   Richard Williams <Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: corr2data
Date   Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:14:24 -0500

At 01:48 PM 9/12/2008, Hema Mistry wrote:
Dear all,

Does anyone know with the corr2data command whether you can set a lower and upper limit whilst keeping the same mean and sd?

Also is there another command similar to corr2data (drawnorm also has the same problems) which won't give me negative values and produces the same mean and SD, but keeping the original values and expanding on these values.
I suspect -corr2data- primarily exists because nobody at Stata ever wrote a -regressi- command, i.e. an immediate version of the -regress- command where you specify the means, correlations and standard deviations. The uses and limitations of -corr2data- are spelled out on pages 8-10 of

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats1/OLS-Stata9.pdf

I find it handy for replicating published regression analyses or for creating hypothetical data sets with certain desired properties, but it won't let you be picky about how it produces a data set with the specified means/corrs/sds.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam