st: RE: option generate() not allowed

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: option generate() not allowed
Date   Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:52:28 +0100

This looks like correct syntax to me as of Stata 10.1 -- and indeed all
previous versions of -tostring- that I can recall.

A different issue is that -tostring- with dates and without options is
unlikely to do what you want. You say nothing about what you want, but I
doubt it is what -tostring- does to dates by default.

For example, if your variable contains today's date as a value then the
string equivalent is "17845".

Fabian Brenner

tostring date, generate(date_as_string)

leads to: