Re: st: cannot start stata in Fedora

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: cannot start stata in Fedora
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:30:48 +0100

Vo Duc Hoang Vu wrote:
I installed STATA9 on Linux Fedora 9. When I started it, the system informed that "/usr/local/stata9/xstata-se: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Could you help me to solve this error?
You need to install gtk+-1.2 on your system.

Stata still uses the old (and increasing obsolete) Gtk+-1 libraries for
rendering the GUI (development of Gtk+1 finished with gtk+1.2.10).  On
most GNU/Linux systems this been superseeded by the Gtk+-2 libraries (I
maintain the Gtk+-1 library purely and solely for Stata on my systems).

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Fedora package management system,
but as its pedigree stems from RedHat, I susecpt its RPM based and you
will have to use either the RPM command line syntax of 'rpm -i [package
name/version]' or use whatever GUI you use for installing packages (and
note that you'll need to either do this as root or use sudo).

Neil

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail