Re: st: RE: Re: table with zero rows

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: table with zero rows
Date   Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:34:25 -0400

Thanks to Garry, Kit, & Nick for the suggestions. Looks like
-fre- will serve my current purposes, but I snagged the others
for future reference.

Nick Cox wrote:
Thanks to Kit for the plug. The njc_stuff he refers to is also on SSC.

I endorse Ben Jann's -fre- as the best bet for tabulation of single
variables when -tabulate- does not answer the need. It does an outstanding job, with a
splendid set of bells and whistles.
But -fre- is, as its help clearly states, only for univariate tables. If
you wanted the same functionality for two or more variables, then
-tabcount- from SSC (and also -groups- from SSC) are possibilities.
SJ-3-4 pr0011 . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Problems with tables,
Part II
Q4/03 SJ 3(4):420--439 (no
reviews three user-written commands (tabcount, makematrix,
and groups) as different approaches to tabulation problems

gives discussion and its .pdf is accessible to all, subscribers to the
Stata Journal or no.
Kit Baum

In addition to Ben Jann's -fre-, help njc_best_stuff reveals

ssc describe tabcount

Jeph Herrin

Sometimes a variable which takes sequential integer
values does not take all possible values that it could.
For instance, -myvar- may represent a survey response
on a scale of 1 to 5, but no respondents chose "3".

I would like to generate frequency tables for such variables
that include rows for the unused values. So

      myvar |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
- ------------+-----------------------------------
          1 |         37       17.54       17.54
          2 |        169       80.09       97.63
          3 |          0        0.00       97.63
          4 |          5        2.37      100.00
          5 |          0        0.00      100.00
      Total |        211      100.00

Now, I can see how to write the do-file, but I keep
putting it off in the hopes of finding some trick
(or existing program) that will do the job.