RE: st: When number of regressors greater than the number of clusters in OLS regression

Subject   RE: st: When number of regressors greater than the number of clusters in OLS regression
Date   Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:00:12 +0100

Divya,

Whether or not you need to use cluster-robust depends on whether you
think your data have a problem that cluster-robust can address, namely
(1) the error terms in your equation are correlated within states
because of unobserved heterogeneity (so the iid assumption fails), but
(2) the error terms are not correlated across states.

A good example would be whether you are looking at something that is
affected by state-level regulation, i.e., the laws regulating it vary
from state to state, but you don't have variables that control for this
somehow.

> Is it because that my dataset is not a sample but
> accounts for 100% of the population? Or is there something
> else I need to consider?
>
> so instead of areg Y on X, absorb(state) robust
> cluster(state); I will now run areg Y on X, absorb(state)
> robust correct?

Two comments here: first, you are probably better off using xtreg
instead of areg (more modern Stata command); and second and more
important, Stock and Watson (Econometrica 2007, if I recall correctly)
have shown that the fixed effects estimator with -robust- generates SEs
that are not correct.

> Also can someone explain the inference of individual
> coefficients estimates when we encounter this kind of problem
> in case OLS regression (with lesser # cluster than the # regressors)

See my previous email and the references therein - I think they're
pretty clear, especially the one by Vince Wiggins.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
http://ideas.repec.org/e/psc51.html

> Thanks,
> Divya.

registered under charity number SC000278.