Re: st: error message single sample unit

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: error message single sample unit
Date   Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:13:36 -0400

Sahid--

I think your most serious problem may not be single unit strata, but that only 81 of 19,474 observations have non-missing values for variable sd107f. What is this variable? Is it coded correctly? Is it defined only for a sub-population? If so, then the advice I gave earlier is not sufficient. You must also add the -subpop- option to the survey estimation commands.

For example, suppose I want to estimate the percent of cigarette smokers who inhale deeply. My variable "inhale" is defined only for smokers and is missing for all others; smoking is indicated by variable smoke (=1 for yes = 2 for no). Then my subpop option would look like:

svy, subpop(if smoke==1): mean inhale

-Steve