Re: st: Summer North American Stata Users Group meetings

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Summer North American Stata Users Group meetings
Date   Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:10:36 +0100 (BST)

--- David Airey <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu> wrote:
> Maarten Buis' presentation using Stata is a model one for teaching
> something using Stata. He uses the viewer to show code and slides,
> but hyperlinks in .do files to execute code, etc. Really effective.
> There are of course bits and pieces of this approach in existing
> help files, but here it is done more completely.

As much as I would like to take all the credit, honesty compells me to
say that I learned most of this from a presentation by Nick Cox at the
2007 Nordic and Baltic Stata Users' Group Meeting
( ), and he informed me that
he in turn learned most of it from a talk by Vince Wiggins at the 2004
United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meeting
( )

Although I like this way of presenting, it is not the most user
friendly way of distributing the presentation: the presentation
consists of a .zip file with 77 different files. To help make sense of
it, it does contain a readme.txt explaining where to get started, but
some have understandably overlooked that file and got lost. For that
reason I have copied the content of the readme.txt below:

================== begin readme.txt ========================
The following steps need to be taken in order to view this

1. Extract the files in the .zip file to a separate directory.
2. Start Stata
3. Use -cd- to change to directory where you extracted the files from
the .zip file.
4. Type -view mlbsnasug08.smcl-

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis