st: Exporting summary tables

From   Michael McCulloch <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Exporting summary tables
Date   Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:38:54 -0700

I'm seeking guidance in creating summary tables which I can output to a text file. From my data set, I have used the -table- command to produce summary statistics, such as the following example where I report the number of subjects, median age, and proportion treated, stratified by cancer stage:

. table stage treatment, contents(n age median age mean treatment) col format(%9.2g) cen row

However, neither -table- nor the other related commands (tabulate or tabstat) are described in their help files as having the capability of exporting those summary statistics to a text file.

The context for my request is the following: from Michael Blasnik's lecture "Mass producing appendices using Stata and word processor mail merge" (, I learned how to merge Stata output created using -outsheet- into a Microsoft Word template to create data tables (allowing me to reduce cut-and-paste errors).

What I am seeking in this posting is guidance on how to create an exported table of summary statistics, which I can then -outsheet- to a tab-limited text file.

Best wishes,
Michael McCulloch

Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine St., San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
Tel: (415) 407-1357
Fax: (415) 485-1065
* For searches and help try: