Re: st: too many variables.

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: too many variables.
Date   Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:10:56 -0400

Ashim, someone from StataCorp would give you more technical details, but, very roughly speaking,

memory usage = overhead + (#variables) x (#observations).

The 2048 variable limit is a maximum possible, IF you have the memory available to handle them. You may not:
If you try to add k new variables, you are increasing your memory usage by k x (# observations) and this could put you over the limit.

Some solutions:
1. -compress-
2. -keep- only the variables you need for your analysis.
3. -drop- variables you previously created that you no longer need for this analysis (accomplishes same as 2. but may be shorter)
4. If not all observations are needed, keep only those you do need.

A reminder: Maarten has asked you for the "exact" commands that you ran and the other details. You responded with a vague description about generating some variables. This was not helpful.

-Steven