Re: st: converting dates from Excel .csv file

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: converting dates from Excel .csv file
Date   Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:12:58 -0700

*********
On 8/23 I submitted a question: > I have dates in an Excel *.csv file as:
        date
        12/12/08
        12/02/08
        04/14/08
        04/04/08

 I wrote the following code to convert to Stata date:
        gen str date_year = substr(date, -2,.)
        gen str date_month = substr(date, 1, 2)
        gen str date_day = substr(date, 4, 2)
        destring  date_year date_month date_day, replace
        list date date_month date_day date_year

 However, when I import the *.csv file, the leading zeroes are dropped
 from months 1-9.
 Is there a way to solve this in Stata, without having to create
 separate columns for m, d, and y in Excel?
*********
On 8/24 Salah responded with the following advice, which unfortunately is not successful (error msg: 60 missing values generated). I note that Salah's code which he wrote in Stata 10.1 worked for him, but not for me; I'm using 9.2. Any advice?

Have you tried the date function?

input str12 date
"12/12/08"
"12/02/08"