RE: st: problem creating and doing a foreach on a local of allnumeric variables in a dataset

From   "Jennifer S. Earl" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: problem creating and doing a foreach on a local of allnumeric variables in a dataset
Date   Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:54:09 -0700

Thanks Maarten and Nick-- it runs now! I would have never figured out that was the problem, especially since the "display `num_vars'" did display the full list of variables I wanted even while I got the errors in the foreach loop.

Just so I understand, though, I'll ask a follow-up:
Let's say I wanted to name the initial list of numeric variables something different than the initial list of string variables (hence me trying to put them in the local macros num_list and string_list) so I could use these lists at different points later in the program and the lists would not be affected by subsequently created variables (as they would if I just remade the lists each time).

Right now, I could not do this because both the numeric and string lists both appear to be called `r(varlist)' ; the contents just got replaced by running "ds , has(type numeric)" or "ds , has(type string)" right before the foreach loop.

How could I save off those initial lists and then later successfully operate on them in a foreach loop?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Jenn

*********************************
Jennifer Earl
Director, Center for Information Technology and Society
Associate Professor of Sociology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9430

P: (805) 893-7471