Re: st: -spmap- reason for no aspect() option?

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -spmap- reason for no aspect() option?
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:58:08 -0400

Hello Dan,

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but the most probable reason that
aspect() option is not implemented is the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

E.g. Americans commonly use Mercator, while Russians prefer Albers
projection. The difference can be very large and depends on the
distance from the equator. The transformation between most (all?)
projection pairs is non-linear and can't be implemented as
stretching/squeezing maps. -spmap- (and -tmap-) were developed for GIS
graphs in Stata.

2. Have you tried ADePT map (-amap-)?

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPOVRES/Images/MainWindow2.png

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPOVRES/Resources/477227-1184622288835/4002237-1219247341749/ADePT_Maps2.pdf

It works with standard shapefiles. Don't know what your data format
is, but just in case.

3. If you want to adjust aspect ratio yourself, multiplying/dividing
one of your coordinates by a constant (C>0) will do the trick. C>1
will stretch the graph in that dimension, C<1 will squeeze it in that
dimension.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Sergiy Radyakin