RE: st: Treat zeros in logarithms

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Treat zeros in logarithms
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:49:19 +0100

Dear Sam,

Quite often such questions concern items that you need to pay for (e.g. health or public goods) and even more often they are exploratory and rhetorical. However, theoretically, WTP could be negative. Testing sensitivity, log-normal distributions are often compared to the normal ones.

Cheers
Manos

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of SamL
Sent: 26 August 2008 18:48
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Treat zeros in logarithms

Interesting.  I always find it funny when someone says "How much are you willing to pay for . . .?"  My answer is always, "Less than zero; I want to be paid to take this item from you."  I just think the salesperson should have a sense of the value of what they're selling and, if not, they should let me set the price and I'll set it in the negative.  So, theoretically, why can't willingness to pay be negative?

Of course, this only exacerbates the logarithm problem.  JOOQ (Just out of curiosity), why are you taking logarithms?

Sam