Re: st: RE: RE: instrumental variable nomenclature

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: instrumental variable nomenclature
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:06:25 -0500

Alan,

oh, screw the causality -- it is up to you as the researcher to think
as to how your X and Z variables are related, and interpret the
findings. If your question was about how to call those variables so
that economists will understand you -- then I think both Mark and I
gave pretty similar answers: you have a regression with a variable
measured with error (Z is the observed measure of X), and you must
come up with something else that's correlated with X, but not with the
measurement error d.

Note that econometric models usually assume linear relations. The
nonlinearities are far more difficult to deal with. Your main
reference will probably be Carroll and folks book
(http://www.citeulike.org/user/ctacmo/article/1761085). I think a lot
of their motivation comes from similar dose-response kind of stuff.