st: Treat zeros in logarithms

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: Treat zeros in logarithms
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:57:19 +0100

Dear all,

I have an interval regression model and for some cases the lower bound is zero. As I want to take the logarithm of the bounds I run into problems.

The same issue has come up previously in the list and below is the link of a detailed answer by Nick Cox.

As Nick points out an acceptable strategy is " replace the zeros by half the smallest non-zero measurement..."

I was wondering if anyone could provide any references of published papers that have employed such approach.

Best regards