st: RE: sorting a variable list within each obs.(row)

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: sorting a variable list within each obs.(row)
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:29:09 +0100

Hi,

One way would be to use egen. -help egen - however, the negative values will
be picked up. To avoid that I create a new variable for each old one with
missing values replacing values<0.

* create new variables & replace negative with missing values

foreach var of varlist  v1- v4 {
gen `var'i=`var'
replace `var'i=. if `var'i<0
}

* use egen  to get the minimum of the row
egen min=rowmin(v1i- v4i)

* drop unnecessary variables
drop v*i

rajesh