Re: st: Any way to annotate a Stata graph with LaTeX?

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Any way to annotate a Stata graph with LaTeX?
Date   Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:28:07 -0400

Dear Richard,

1. I guess we will not be able to answer whether it is possible or
not, because the Stata graph format (*.gph) is not documented as far
as I know (though I would love to see that description, as well as for
the .mo files). Is it doable in principle? Yes. Stata graphs are in
fact programs and data combined together for storage. Graphs are
rebuilt from scratch (from saved sersets) every time you need to
display them. If you go really low-level you get the control of the
canvas where drawing is done. From there you can draw whatever you
want. Including fancy staff. In particular you can call another
program (e.g. TeX), get a rendered image of the TeX document (stored,
perhaps, among the parameters of the *.gph file) then overlay them on
the canvas. On the downside - it does not guarantee that the resulting
*.gph file will be "playable" on another computer, since all of the
dependencies must be also available there.

2. Chances that Stata graphs will one day support TeX formatting are
(probably) as high as that they will play AVIs or MP3s, or show Word
documents.

3. Depending on what you are doing, it is probably best to export the
graph in a standard format that other programs support (e.g. emf as
suggested above), export your TeX note in the same format and combine
in a standard graphics editor. Free InkScape is probably a good
starter, it is available not only for Windows for what I know (
http://www.inkscape.org/ ).

4. You might also want to consider looking at a large number of
batch-image-stamp applications, which add a specified text or image
(stamp) to an existing image (e.g. Stata graph in .PNG).

5. You might want to create a composite document (consisting of
content of different types), e.g. an HTML document, where text is set
in MathML ( http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/ ) and images are coming from
Stata (this would probably be my preferred option from all listed
here).

6. If you show the image of something you would like to see, there
might be more specific recommendations on how to get it done.

7. As for unicode - it seems the codepage selection is already
supported, but it is disabled somehow. I've set the Vietnamese font
for a colleague the other day (in the output, not in the Graphs),
perhaps something can be done with other languages as well.

Best regards,
    Sergiy Radyakin