st: dynamic decomposition of Gini using -ginidesc- or other command

From   Cindy Gao <>
Subject   st: dynamic decomposition of Gini using -ginidesc- or other command
Date   Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:04:08 +0000 (GMT)

I have been using -ginidesc- (downloaded from SSC) to do a static decomposition of inequality in terms of the Gini coefficient. I like to know if there is any way to use this or any other command to do dynamic decomposition of Gini (i.e. of the change in Gini over time). I have check the -ginidesc- help file and the paper by Pyatt [Pyatt, G. (1976) "On the Interpretation and Disaggregation of Gini Coefficients", The Economic Journal, 86,(June), 243-255] on which the command is based, but I don't see any way to do it.

For example if I use -ineqdeco- I can get the data for making a manual dynamic decomposition of inequality, for Theil and other measures. But, I need to do this for Gini, which -ineqdeco- doesn't do. So, I try to use -ginidesc-, but how to use this for decomposition of changes in inequality?

If anyone did this (or even in another way with a different command) I will be very happy to hear about it.