Re: st: ice and random-number seed

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <>
Subject   Re: st: ice and random-number seed
Date   Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:05:40 -0500

You could try forcing the random number generator in front of -ice- by
-set seed # -. If there are any sorting operations in -ice- before the
point where -seed- is actually used for the first time (which is not
how it should be done though), then the results will differ because
-sort- breaks ties in sorting variables in random order, and hence is
affected by the settings of pseudoRNG.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Medina, Tait Runnfeldt
<> wrote:
> I am unable to reproduce regression results using imputed data generated via Royston's -ice- command, although I am using the -seed- option. A comparison of a mock original and an attempted replication, illustrating this problem, can be found in step #4 below.
> I am using Stata version 10.1. The version of -ice- and -micombine- being used can be found in step #5 below.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at