st: prediction after regress

From   "Shehzad Ali" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: prediction after regress
Date   Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:31:22 +0100

Hi listers,

I am trying to get counterfactual predictions after regress. Basically,
people in my sample are either insured or uninsured. I want to predict how
much insured would spend if they were uninsured (assuming their other
characteristics remained the same) and vice versa for the uninsured. Can
-adjust- help in this situation? Here is what I was trying but not sure if
this is right:

reg y $xvar insurance_dummy

adjust insurance=1 if insurance==0, gen(counter_1)
adjust insurance=0 if insurance==1, gen(counter_0)

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,