RE: st: RE: missing std. errors

From   jverkuilen <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: missing std. errors
Date   Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:54:32 -0400

"Forshee, Richard" wrote:

>Have you excluded a reference category?  If not, your dummy variables
will be perfectly collinear with the constant. >

Stata should handle this though often in an arbitrary way---fitting as the choice is mathematically (but not substantively) arbitrary.

Nishant Dass wrote:

>First of all, I am using Stata/SE 10.0 on Windows.>

-update- Stata 10.1 is available.

I can't tell from your output (the output doesn't have the code) but it looks like you are wanting to run clustered robust SE and also have a lot of dummies which probably correspond to the clusters. Is that right? If so, I am not surprised the parameter estimate covariance matrix which you need for the standard errors is singular---you don't deserve an estimate given your model, which is probably misspecified for cluster SEs.

I wonder if what you really want is -xtreg- with fixed effects?