Re: st: Multicollinearity and Orthogonalization

From   "Erasmo Giambona" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multicollinearity and Orthogonalization
Date   Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:23:10 +0200

Dear All,

Thanks very much for your helpful hints. One thing remains unclear to
me. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that one problem with
multicollinearity is that if y1 and y2 are highly correlated (e.g.,
0.9), then their coefficient estimates in regression can get
"artificially" alternate signs (e.g., + and - or vice versa). To me is
not clear yet whether you suggest that Stata would not suffer from
this problem or whether I should orthogonalize in this case.

Any furhter thoughts would be truly appreciated.
Regards,
Erasmo