Re: st: creating a large set of dummies

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: creating a large set of dummies
Date   Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:21:38 +0100 (BST)

--- Jan Sauermann <> wrote:
> for a regression, I need a large set of dummies for controlling for
> individual fixed effects. This can easily be done by -tab VAR,
> gen(NEWVAR)-. Of course, lots of variables are created just for a
> single regression.
> My question: is there a way to tell Stata that it should include a
> dummy for each value of a certain variable without having to create a
> single dummy for each value? In my understanding, this would be
> similar to the use of lagged variables where you type -L.VAR-

Yes, see -help xi-. However, if you are interested in estimating a
fixed effects regression it is probably better to use -xtreg- with the
-fe- option (using the logic that it is better not to reinvent stuff
that has already been implemented by the good people from StataCorp).

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081