RE: st: stata code for two-part model

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: stata code for two-part model
Date   Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:08:55 -0700

The problem was about hospitalization costs.  These can be true zeros.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Austin
Nichols
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 9:38 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: stata code for two-part model

Peter <[email protected]>:
I think this claim is a bit of a red herring: "use of a continuous
model for data in which there is a clump of zeros seems incorrect."
Note that the -glm- approach assumes the mean of y given observables X
is nonzero, and E(y|X)=exp(Xb), not that observed y is nonzero!
Including the observations where y=0 is the whole point of the -glm-
approach--otherwise we would run ols regression of ln(y) on X.  And if
you are claiming that the "true" model for (expected) healthcare
expenditures does have true zeros that are identifiable, then I
disagree. Some of your obs may spend nothing on health care (though
annual spending, including myriad items such as aspirin, is unlikely
to truly be zero for anyone) but that does not mean their conditional
mean should be zero.  Maybe people who are dead have a conditional
mean of zero, but they should probably be excluded from the
analysis...

When spending is measured in discrete dollars, a big clump of people
who have predicted spending less than 50 cents may have a conditional
mean of zero measured in the same units as the data.  But that does
not mean their "true" conditional mean is zero.

That said, a demand/expenditure model will have more and more "true"
(or rounded off) zeros as the category of demand/expenditure gets
narrower and narrower and the time window over which it is measured
gets narrower... think aspirin expenditures by week or day... but it
is not clear to me that a two-part model is the right approach even in
those cases.