st: re: finding number of unique values of a variable

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: finding number of unique values of a variable
Date   Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:00:40 -0400

< >
Dick said

I would like to loop over the list of variables in a data set and
find the number of unique values for each variable, regardless
of whether the variable is numeric or string. There are several
ways to do this for a numeric variable, but I don't see a convenient
way to do it for a mixture of string and numeric variables.

I am frequently reminded by Nick Cox that when I say unique I mean distinct. If you -findit distinct- you will locate some of his pearls of wisdom:

which may be helpful. Also referenced are some of his Speaking Stata columns in the Stata Journal, which are freely downloadable through mid-2005.

* For searches and help try: