Re: st: How to tell a macro to use previous global value of that loop, akin to [_n-1] for columns

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to tell a macro to use previous global value of that loop, akin to [_n-1] for columns
Date   Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:36:46 +0100

Jared,

now I understand better. For future postings, just be a bit careful
with your wording. In Stata, the word "macro" refers to something very
specific: either a global macro or a local macro (see -help macro-). A
loop is just a loop (there is no such thing as a "global loop"). And
one or several lines of Stata commands are usually refered to as
"code". The only reason I am saying this is that it will help other
people understand better what you are doing, and therefore make it
easier for them to help you.

Now to your question:
I believe that I answered it with my last reply. Note the last bit of this line:

replace ExitYear= `X'-1 if LHS_NMCE_`X'==. & LHS_NMCE_`=`X'-1'==1

The key is in the expression - if ... LHS_NMCE_`=`X'-1'==1-. Your
[`_n'-1] for loops is my `=`X'-1'. Here is how it works: The first
left single quote and equal sign tell Stata that you want it to
evaluate (i.e. substitute and calculate) whatever follows. The next
thing is `X'-1. `X', as you know, is the placeholder in the loop and
refers to the current value. So, `X'-1 would be the previous value in
the loop, which is what you are after. The whole thing closes with a
closing single quote, to mark the end of the evaluation. So, if the
current value for `X' is 8, the above expression evolves to -if ...
LHS_NMCE_7==1-, which I hope is just what you want.

Hope this helps,
Eva