st: Tabulation task

From   Serguei Kaniovski <>
Subject   st: Tabulation task
Date   Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:38:52 +0200

I am stuck with the following tabulation tast. I have two datafiles. One contains the following variables:

Name, Country, V1, V2, V3, V4, ... large number
where Vx signifies a persons vote on issue x (numeric, categorical)

A second file contains the issue types (string) of each vote as follows:

Vote_id, Vote_issue
where Vote _id is numeric and corresponds to 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., Vote_issue is a string decribing the voting issue.

How can I read in the issue types and tabulate the V-variables by issue and country?

Thank you very much,
* For searches and help try: