RE: st: RE: Wald interval and the WSJ

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Wald interval and the WSJ
Date   Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:29:17 -0700

I'm not clear about your simulations:  This should be a binomial
distribution.  I tried the binomialtail function as
binomialtal(100,5,.03) and got 0.182.  If I use binomialtail(40,2,.03) I
get 0.338.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jverkuilen
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: Wald interval and the WSJ

"Lachenbruch, Peter wrote:

##5.  I suspect most of us would regard two studies with p-values of
0.049
and 0.051 as showing about the same thing, so the worship of the p-value
is rather silly.  A confidence interval would be better.##

There is an attachment showing the results of the various tests.  They
range from 0.0484 for the Wald test to 0.0547 for the exact double
binomial test.  The score test gave 0.0515.  They didn't publish a
likelihood ratio test. My point is that all the tests gave similar
results.  We shouldn't
worship p=0.05.###

In some sims I did---in the end to satisfy my own curiosity---I
simulated p-values by bootstrapping from a dataset that had an observed
p = .03. 40% exceeded '05....

JV