st: Detection of disease

From   "Carlo Georges" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Detection of disease
Date   Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:53:33 +0200

I tried to reproduce in stata the calculation needed for the following case:

I need to determine the sample size, required to detct the presence of
disease in a population.

The formula is rather complex so it is difficult to paste in here,

For example i need to detect with 95% confidence the abscence of disease in
a population where the presumed prevalence would be 20%. How lrge a sample
size do I need to be 95% certain that the population is free from disease.

I used a program "Winepiscope" freeware, that calculated a samplesize of 14.

in stata i tried : sampsi 0.2 0, power(0.9) onesample

and I get a result of :16

Can stata handle this type of calculation?