st: RE: convergence problems with zinb

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: convergence problems with zinb
Date   Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:03:37 +0800

Hi Margaret,

You might like to look at the various maximize options that you can
tinker with.

Type - help maximize

There are four different algorithms used by ml and Stata follows a rule
for stepping though these when fitting a model.  There is an option
called - difficult - which tells the ml program to use a different
stepping rule.  You could try this.

Any algorithm used to maximize the log-likelihood has to start with some
initial coefficient values and sometimes these can be near a flat or
concave region of the likelihood function.  Consequently, the fitting
algorithm will just wander around this region, unable to get out.
Changing the initial values might therefore improve the performance of
the algorithm.

The option - trace - will give you the current coefficient estimates at
each iteration.  This might give you a clue as to what's going on.

I don't know how many variables you have in your model, but you could
try fitting a separate model for each variable thus obtaining a
coefficient estimate for each variable and then use these as your
initial estimates in the full model.

Kieran

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)