RE: st: regression with heavily skewed dependant data (was "tobit?")

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: regression with heavily skewed dependant data (was "tobit?")
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:18:00 +0100

Others have pointed out that the BMI in effect prejudges the
relationship between weight and height. Naturally, I agree. But it's not
clear whether the original height and weight data are available in this

I was delighted to see Paul's report here that reciprocating BMI worked
well. I love reciprocal transformations because they are so simple and
they yield variables with well-defined units  An alternative, or a
complement, to transformation would be to work with -glm, link(power

Seed, Paul

3) When considering possible transformations, I would aim for ones that
give approximate symmetry.  In my own data, 1/BMI = height^2/Weight
performed quite well. Skewness -.0393561, Kurtosis 3.708181.