Re: st: Interpreting Poisson regression results with squared term

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Interpreting Poisson regression results with squared term
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:52:13 +0100 (BST)

--- Antonio Silva <> wrote:
> I ran a Poisson regression in which # of groups founded per year was
> the dependent variable. My independent variables of interest are X1
> and X1-squared.

For these non-linear effects in non-linear models I prefer to show
graphs, in this case of the predicted rate against X1. For these kinds
of graphs -adjust- is your friend, see the example below. The key trick
is to specify in the -adjust- command -by(X1)-, in this case
-by(ment)-, and not mentioning the square term. This way for each value
of X1/ment the mean of the square term is used in the computation,
which is the value of X1/ment squared.

*---------------------- begin example --------------------
// get data
net from
net get rmcdvs

// start the analysis
use couart2, clear
gen ment2 = ment^2
poisson art fem mar kid5 phd ment ment2
adjust fem=0 mar=1 kid5=1 phd , by(ment) exp replace ci
twoway rarea lb ub ment || ///
       line exp ment,      ///
       lpattern(solid) legend(off) ///
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081