RE: st: number format in graph labels

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: number format in graph labels
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:29:48 +0100 (BST)

--- Gisella Young <> wrote:
> It occurs to me that a (hopefully) simpler way might just be to title
> the y-axis "Whatever (thousands)" or "Whatever ('000)" and then have
> the labels all divided by a thousand, so what would have been 1000000
> would just be 1000, in which case the absence of spaces doesn't
> really matter as the smaller number of 0's is easy to see. However
> I'm not sure if there is an easy way of doing this (in my pre-Stata
> life I made a lot of graphs in Excel and there is an option to tick
> to show the graph scale in 100's, 1000's, etc). I don't want to
> actually divide my y variable by 1000 as i still want the original
> variable to be used in plotting the chart, but just want to show the
> variable graphically in '000's - is there a way to do this in Stata?

This is exactly what I would do. If you think carefully about it, an
option that removes three zeros from the y-axis labels does exactly the
same thing as dividing your y by 1000 and use that variable for the

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081