Re: st: Report of weighted cell counts or observations in a survey report

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Report of weighted cell counts or observations in a survey report
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:29:40 -0400

�ngel. I agree that displaying the raw counts is important. I don't know a short cut to doing this.

Some suggestions:

1. Create separate tables of cell counts (no percentages)-these take little space. You might put them in an appendix.

2. Use a table editor in your word processor to create a table skeleton with a small number of cells. Put one Stata table into each cell, shrinking the text as needed. This would allow you, for example, to put the table of raw counts adjacent to the weighted tables.

3. My personal approach: I use -collapse-, -egen-, returned results, merges, -sorts-, and -format- commands to create data sets of statistics, then -outsheet- to text files. I manipulate these in a text editor using GREP and drop the results into rtf table skeletons. The final polishes I do in Nisus Writer's table editor, but you can do the same in Word. In this way I've created tables with over 20 columns, with multiple sections and subheadings. I use Andale Mono with font size of 7 or 8 points; this is very readable. The process takes a lot of time to set up, but after the initial work, it is easy to make modifications. For example, changing the order of super- and sub-columns is easy: it's a matter or changing the -sort- and - outsheet- order of variables.

-Steve