st: mata code that calculates numerical partial derivates

From   KAI LIU <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: mata code that calculates numerical partial derivates
Date   Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:39:24 -0400

I am looking for mata code that will calculate numerical partial
derivates of any given function, m(p) where p is a kx1 vector..

As a simple example consider the following transparent m(p) function
Mata:
p1=1
p2=3
m=p1^2+p2

I am looking for a routine that will return
mprime=[2,1].

The only numerical gradients routine I can find is the Stata dydx
command. This command, however, only gives derivatives of bivariate
relationships. A more general Mata routine must exist since optimize
uses numerical gradients to optimize f(p). It then returns the gradiants
for the k optimized p’s, My application requires that I then evaluate
the gradiants of another function of p (i.e. m(p)).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kai