st: vector of independent variables in ML program

From   Jonathan Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: vector of independent variables in ML program
Date   Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:29:48 -0400

Greetings,

How does one refer to a vector of independent variables from within an ML program? For example, suppose I need to write a gradient vector, the formula for which looks something like this:

∂ ln L/ ∂ Β = (1/sigma^2) x'(y - xΒ)

where x' is a k by 1 vector of the independent variables for an observation. I know that I can refer to y as $ML_y1 and xB as one of the arguments (theta, for instance), but how can I call x' in the formula? Ultimately, I will have multiple equations in this formula, so I need to be able to specify equation from which the x's are coming.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Hanson
Assistant Professor of Political Science
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
100 Eggers Hall
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13244

*