Re: st: confidence interval for median

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: confidence interval for median
Date   Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:22:29 +0100 (BST)

--- moleps islon <> wrote:
> You state that jackknife is inappropriate. Principles of medical
> statistics, feinstein 2002 claim the contrary-I have no clue what is
> right..

I learned that from Efron, B. and Tibshirani, R. (1993). An
Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall/CRC. The logic is that
the statistic needs to be a smooth function of the data in order for
the jackknife to work, and the median obviously is not a smooth
function of the data.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam