Re: st: confidence interval for median

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: confidence interval for median
Date   Sat, 9 Aug 2008 15:46:48 +0100 (BST)

--- moleps islon <> wrote:
> I need to find the confidence interval for my mean. I thought to use
> a jackknife command, but I cant get it to work: Jknife: sum age.

What do you want, the median (subject title) or the mean (the
question)? The jacknife is not appropriate for the median. For the mean
you can use -mean-, and for the median you can use -centile-. If you
want to use a resampling method you can use -bootstrap-, which is
appropriate for both the mean and the median. See the example below and
the helpfiles of these commands:

*--------------------- begin example ------------------
sysuse auto, clear

mean mpg
centile mpg
bootstrap mean=r(mean) median=r(p50): sum mpg, detail
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam