st: rename variables with label values

From   daphna bassok <>
Subject   st: rename variables with label values
Date   Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:00:54 -0700

I have a strange data cleaning question and was hoping someone would have a solution.

Is it possible to rename a list of variables with their label value (meaning replace the variable name with the variable label)? My labels identify the item numbers on a particular survey (but my actual variable names are not too informative). I am looking for a command like renvars, that will allow me quickly rename the variable, but so far I have not been able to find something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

* For searches and help try: