Re: st: New to Stata - polling

From   "Clive Nicholas" <>
Subject   Re: st: New to Stata - polling
Date   Fri, 8 Aug 2008 04:00:03 +0100

Dheeraj Chand wrote:

> 4. Are there manuals or FAQ's available on how to transition from a primarily SPSS shop to an integrated or Stata alone shop for these products?

Sergiy Radyakin cited Stat/Transfer as a solution for converting SPSS
data files into Stata data files. Stat/Transfer is excellent, but you
don't actually need it for this task. If you save your SPSS data file
in tab-delimited format, and move it into the 'data' folder inside
your C: drive, then all you need type in Stata is:

. insheet using spssname, tab

Saving the SPSS file as a .csv file would necessitate:

. insheet using spssname, comma

and so on.

Clive Nicholas

<>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson