st: RE: Autocorrelation in Poisson regression

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Autocorrelation in Poisson regression
Date   Fri, 8 Aug 2008 05:16:24 +0800

>>>I have tested for overdispersion and this is not a problem.
I'm always a bit wary of tests of overdispersion, mainly because I don't
have a clear idea of what the power of this test is.  In other words,
how much overdispersion would there have to be before the test was
significant.

>>>Second, in theory, there is an unlimited number of groups that could
be formed in any given year, and thus there appears to be no
heterogeneity of risk, if I understand that concept correctly.

Well there must be some heterogeneity, otherwise there would be no point
in to modelling the data.

When I'm modelling disease incidence in a cohort of people, I'm assuming
that everyone in the cohort is at risk of the disease, but I'm not
assuming that they are at the same level of risk (no heterogeneity).
I'm assuming that there is heterogeneity in risk and I'm looking for
factors that explain this - factors associated with an increase or
decrease in risk.

>>>As for Stas's comments, I wholeheartedly agree that the reviewer in
question is not much of a reviewer.

I publish in medical journals and it is still the case that many medical
journals do not employ statistical reviewers.  Consequently you can get
reviewers comments on the statistical analysis that are idiotic or
frankly bizarre.  Often my colleagues (medical doctors) will want me to
simply do what the reviewer wants in order to get the paper published
thus turning a good paper into a bad paper (I wonder how often this
happens), whereas my response is to say "No, the reviewer is an idiot
and it is our obligation to point this out to them".  Heated discussions
usually follow.

Without knowing exactly what your data looks like, it's difficult to
give you any more advice, but checking the residuals along the lines
that David suggested should enable you to check for autocorrelation.

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House