Statalist

Re: st: Changing specific letter in observations from string variable

From   Philipp Rehm <philipp.rehm@gmx.de>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Changing specific letter in observations from string variable
Date   Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:21:44 +0200

.
-subinstr()- is your friend.

Example:

clear

input str7 wrong
BA¥OS
SA¥O
CA¥ARIS
HUA¥EC
end

gen right=subinstr(wrong,"¥","Ñ",.)

HTH,
Philipp

Max Perez Leon wrote:

Hello,
I have a dataset that has the following problem:

I suppose my dataset had some problem in a conversion from dbf to dat and now, some observations in one of my string variable have the next form:
BA¥OS
SA¥O
CA¥ARIS
HUA¥EC